Monday, November 7, 2016

Kindred Spirits

This morning rowing ashore after a beautiful dawn kickoff, I encountered some guys at the launching place. One guy rowing out made a quip about the size of my dinghy. I thought oh great.
Next I fall into conversation with Chris and Bruce, they own a Compass 30 and a Beneteau 35 respectively. (Ah sailors). There mate Geoff was taking his Artman 34 for slipping and they were having a working b. (Cool)
They asked about my boat and the kind of sailing I did, and were impressed. (I'm stoked)
They then disclosed very modest sailing ambitions of sailing to an island just 10 miles out of the port. (They love their boats, and sailing. They don't sail as far as I do, but that's OK. So used to meeting loud, rambunctious sailors that have done everything, their boat's bigger ad nauseum, these guys were extremely pleasant. Who'd have thunk it?) .

For European, British or American readers/sailors, it may sound strange for a sailor to be thinking that meeting other cruising sailors is a bit rare. But it is here is Australia. Sure if you're anchored off an island in Queensland yo see and meet other sailors, but generally Down Under sailing is a small fish compared to "overseas" countries.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment