Saturday, January 23, 2016

Cleaning Sails, Polishing Perspex

Now  that  I have my Folkboat "bohemian" sitting snug on her mooring, I  can visit her in a little over a half hour. It gives me great peace of mind to know that she is so close. 

My wishes longer term select  become somewhat of a sea gypsy and reading "Get Real, Get Gone" is a great primer for this. But first I  must simplify or unclutter my possessions and one of those is my Hunter 19 trailer sailer. 

Today I've scrubbed her inside out and this evening, the sails need cleaning. Port Townsend sailmakers recommend the following:-
STEP 1 - Use a bucket of water, 1-2 cups of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of woolmix. Scrub the sailing  gently on a,soft non-abrasive surface. 
STEP 2 - Thoroughly rinse off all  the solution. 
STEP 3 - Hang to dry thoroughly before folding or rolling loosely and storing out of the elements. 

I also need to clean up a scratched and cloudy potholes made of perspex. TO POLISH PERSPEX:-
MATERIALS & TECHNIQUE: Depending on the depth of the damage you need to go deep with wet and dry sandpaper, then cutting compound the car polish or Silvo/Brasso to finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment