Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Different Points of Sail

Light Quartering Breeze and Confused Cross Swell:
Unfortunately, the first 24 hours of the 42.5 hour sail was under these conditions. The motion was very rolly, as the wind pressure (S force 2) was unable to counteract the motion of the rocking caused by the interaction of a SE swell and ESE sea. If the helmsman failed to either hold pressure on the headsail or run off with a swell, the weighted keel would set up a pendulum swing like Grandad's proverbial clock.

 Being new to the boat and it being a long time since I'd sailed upon the sea, I chose to sail in light conditions. Apparently the price I paid was this wretched motion and painfully slower progress.

In the late evening and early morning the breeze left altogether, and without an engine there was no option but to hand sail and go below for a kip. Electricity offered great solace at this time, I was confident that any lookout would pick up our new LED navigation lights, and I was comforted by listening to my favourite ABC radio programs.

Sleeping came easily as I was able to wedge my shoulders into the starboard berth and nestle into my chunky down sleeping bag and rolled up lifejacket-pillow. My iPad alarm worked well but I doubt it would not wake me from a really heavy sleep.

The same conditions persisted into the next day, with the added risk of sunburn. Tough sailing conditions but the views were spectacular (dolphins, a humpback, sailboats heading to Sydney for New Year's Eve, coastline). I found the wearing the usual sun protection (hat, sunnies, long sleeved clothes, sunblock) was useful and I added a neck bandana to protect from reflected light. I later found that the tops of my feet suffered worse than anywhere else.

Moderate Headwind & Swell On the Beam.
When the wind did finally kick in on the second day, it was force 3-4 from the ESE. It kept bohemian footing along well, and her motion was quite gentle. Excited to be in home waters, I hand steered most of the time when I should probably have switched to vane steering & gone below. Feeling more rested & nourished, I may have been motivated to remain at sea in good sailing conditions which held during most of the night. In these conditions, bohemian steered herself quite well, enough to go below and grab something, or with stronger winds, to sleep for a half hour no wind vane required.

Arriving off port at midnight, I hove to and awaited daylight. It came on schedule, but the wind slept in for six hours. When it did come in, it was moderate and from theory beam, SE, course WSW. we enjoyed a romping sail into port watching a multitude of craft bobbing and buzzing about in the safety of enclosures waters.

Overall.
Bohemian revelled in anything but light following winds. In these conditions there was not enough pressure to wing and wing, & the main shadowed the headsail, doing neither sail any good. Poling the headsail & rigging a preventer on the boom would solve this problem.

I did lots of hand-steering because I enjoy it, but it was tiring & therefore not the safest way to get along. The remedy has more to do with personal rather than equipment, I basically need to discipline myself to identify when bohemian can do it herself or with the windvane, & set about recharging my body with food & rest. I rediscovered the reality that, when faced with a tough decision; say to turn out to sea or heave to off port, a sailor that's feeling strong is likely to make  better decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment