A bit sketchy on the water today thanks to the remains of cyclone Winston closing the coast north of here. The wind was mostly southeasterly, but variable in strength, anywhere between full main and genoa and double reefed main and working jib, all within minutes. This continued all day.
The water was relatively busy with a mooring repair barge working about and the skippers of MAD and Golden Prospects, on board. There were very few yachts seen sailing, one in fact.
On board, I removed the track and block from the boom and mounted asile fair lead for reefing. It tested out okay, but even on 20 knots or so during the test, it didn't seem robust enough for a three day gale at sea. Does anything I wonder?
Then I continued on Project Gelly Coat; removing all deck fittings, cleaning and filling with gel coat putty and only replacing necessary fittings. Today I gave the port side genoa track the heave-ho and back-filled its one dozen 1/4" holes through Boho's deck. Sweet!
As the weather tried to moisten everything I went below and painted out the port side quarterberth area too. Covering mould, rusty looking leak pathways and tatty paint, makes the boat look mih cleaner below.
Sad news: Two 72 year old sailors were critically injured during a startline collision on Pittwater at 2pm. One sailor died soon after. The yacht looked like an Etchell.
Good news: Robinetta is being prepared for another season's sailing. See "http://robinetta-log.blogspot.com.au".
No comments:
Post a Comment