Friday, March 25, 2016

Changeover to Nylon Running Rigging

Happy Friday!

Public Holiday traffic was hectic, but hey I can get to Bohemian without a single traffic light, so I guess it's not that tough. 

Big project today was to replace all the running rigging with 10mm. diameter nylon that I bought thus week. I've never completed so many spliced in one day! Backstay adjustment, mainsail car trim lines, main sheet, youthful and lazy jacks were all replaced. I'm holding off on the backyards until I put a few miles under her with thus new livery. I read that nylon stretches too much, so I want to test that claim before making a decision. By day's end I was immediately taken by how simple the deck layout looks. It has lost all the business and confusion with all those coloured lines. 
PS: After several outings in light conditions, I've struggled with the main sheet' s lack of flexibility and have decided to go back to a double-braided main sheet.


Also today I removed the diesel fuel tank and 15 litres of fuel. Stage one of the engine removal project;, Bohemian is lighter already and I have a useable cockpit locker again, and no fuel stench.

The water was busy with small craft: SUP boards, kayaks, canoes, off the beach cats. No one on their sailboats though, all these lovely big craft deteriorating month by month.Again dolphins visited, today there were four of them fishing out wide.

Happy sailing, Terry.

No comments:

Post a Comment