Thursday, April 21, 2016

Are Fixer-Upper Boats an Unworthy Trifle? Ye gads!

"She might have been an unworthy trifle to him, but I saw many good things in her simple harmonies and felt affection, which seemed the optimal circumstance in which to pursue such things" .

A quote from a Small Craft Advisor story. The context? Our fearless skipper and his mate moor up their $400 cruiser to arrange a berth for the evening. Upon seeing the craft, themarina operator says (in a condescending tone), "Oh that! I won't charge you for that".

This yarn is slightly aged, but our earnest skipper claims that he paid $400 for his little sail boat, and I reckon that if I allow for inflation my Folkboat would be on par. I also  sense that certain people gaze upon Bohemian and think her an "unworthy trifle". But,  as our fearless skipper so eloquently wrote, I too see "many good things in her simple harmonies".

What "simple harmonies" does a Folkboat possess you may ask:
- her lack of headroom lends a sleek well-balanced look.
- her low freeboard, slim cabin and lack of deck hardware reduce her windage making her rest well at anchor and make for good in a boisterous seaway.
- her lack of engine, minimal sail wardrobe and deck hardware, make for a simple form easy on the eye,she is readily maintained and therefore safer.
- her slender rig propels her slender hull form easily through the sea, she tends not to struggle when others might.
- being easily driven, the stress on her gear is reduced.
- and, while I will fight to save her in all circumstances, should wind and wave overwhelm her and dash her onto a lee shore and I am able to walk away, the loss will not leave financially destitute.
- to cruise into port and anchor alongside larger, more expensive craft affords oneself a greater sense of achievement.
- to sail more often, when men (or women) with larger or more complex designed craft are stuck for crew, just makes more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment