Monday, April 18, 2016

Who's that woman behind the blog title?

Ann Gash, the sailor the Sydney media dubbed "the sailing granny". Now deceased, Ann was a dogged person who sailed a very simply outfitted timber Folkboat around the world in the 1980's. Her sailing feats include a solo circumnavigation, a Pacific crossing Sydney to California and seven Tasman Sea Crossings.

When I bought BOHEMIAN she was moored at Palm Beach, I was told by a marina operator that these were Ann's home waters, and shared a few yarns;-
  +while studying coastal navigation Ann asked her instructor about learning celestial navigation. Said instructor refused saying that he had no confidence she would survive an ocean crossing.
   + upon reaching Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean the harbour master congratulated Ann on her navigation, the island being small, low lying and deep offshore. Ann offhandedly stated that she had "followed the shorebirds" to guide her to the island.
  + Ann's purpose for undertaking a circumnavigation was to attend a bamboo flute course in the UK.
  + In her early career Ann wanted to become a midwife, but her parents pressured Ann  to study general nursing instead. Some years later, still wanting to pursue midwifery and short of money, Ann road her bicycle to Melbourne - about a 1000 miles.
  + Ann's daughter, alarmed by sailing with Ann "abandoned ship" up the NSW coast. But without a dinghy they had to wade ashore with their belongings balanced on their heads.

I had good luck to meet Ann in the late 1980s, we had a short conversation from the decks of our respective sail boats moored at the Merewether Street wharf in Newcastle. I'd just returned from the Whitsundays, Ann had from New Zealand, crossing the Tasman Sea on ILIMO. Ann was waiting to  clear Customs.

During our brief conversation, Ann impressed me with her super-casual personality, she obviously seemed less concerned with looking impressive, rather than being impressive. When she introduced herself, I said "yes I've heard of you", she shrugged off my praises in relaxed way and kept talking about the weather she had on her way home.

My meeting with the marina operator at Palm Beach was enlightening and encouraged me to learn more. In my old logbook, I recorded having met Ann Gash and her Folkboat ILIMO, noted her casual nature and shabby but capable little boat. A truly inspirational sailor.

Further info see http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/archive/2006_August2006_AnnGash19222006.htm#.V6RUZSOubmw


No comments:

Post a Comment