Friday, April 22, 2016

Caring for our planet

Dear Reader I apologise in advance for this environmentally flavoured rant, but in case the engineless sailing history didn't give it away, I take our environment seriously.

The Australian media are making crowing noises about  Federal Government Environment Minister Hunt signing a UN Climate Change agreement to limit temperature rise to below 2 degrees.  I remain sceptical about the seriousness of such a gesture for the following reasons:-
1. Until very recently the then leader of the party was a Climate Change Denier.
2. The government has just called an election and a. signing an agreement is designed to carry favour with the electorate and b. they may be booted and therefore will have no lasting commitment to the agreement.
3. Local  Greens dislike the current government for many good reasons too numerous to  elaborate upon.
4.The current government totally disregarded its legal obligations to the United Nations in regard to it's treatment of refugees.
 5. The first thing that Current Minister for the Environment did on sitting t  sign the agreement was to look up and smile cheesily for the cameras ie: agreement equals photo opp.
6. This week scientists reported record levels of coral bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef and the Federal Government did, NOTHING.

BTW, my family and I live offgrid, we are Independent
from town water and sewerage, and electricity. Just today  I've devised my own system for heater water by woodfire when the solar needs a boost. We're doing lots, but need to do a lot more.

Fair winds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment