Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Discovering How to "Keep Turning Left"

For those few older, singlehanded cruising sailors  that have not heard of Dylan Winter, he runs a great blog called "Keep Turning Left". I've known about it for some time, but have not delved due to the fact that it's mainly video entries, and that's expensive on Australian broadbanders - well rural ones at least.

Anyway, today I watched  my first clip titled "Why We Sail". I enjoyed the footage, amateur but useful and not boring, and I enjoyed his narration, he's got something to say (unlike some bloggers,😆).

I did find some rubbish, like a woman skipper crashing into a dock, but perhaps I'm hard to please with that kind of stuff. Originally I though the blog, really a vlog, was about a fellow circumnavigating the UK, but it seems to have grown to be a sinkhole for everything salty. Happy navigating the site.

The weather news her just now is filtered through the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race lens. Every change in wind strength or direction is referred back to historical races under similar conditions. I really do struggle to fathom whether this event has any relevance for the cruising sailor, one way I attempt to get a foothold on the issue is to learn something about the smallest boat in the fleet. This year Azzurro an S&S 34 takes the gong so I'll be rooting for her as the Americans say. Interestingly, an article about the smallest boat refers to Wild Oats have just undertaken a $2 million dollar refit. Yep that's right,not a new boat, just a refit.

No comments:

Post a Comment